This past weekend I was able to spend some of both days working on Tammie Norrie, so I was able to get a bit accomplished. The first coat of primer had been put on the previous weekend, so I was sure it had cured. I sanded it down with 120 grit sandpaper on a block. This was much easier than sanding epoxy; in a few hours the chore was done. The result of sanding was a somewhat mottled appearance, which looked kind of interesting in it’s own right, but wasn’t quite the look I was going for on this boat.
The hull was vacuumed, and as you can see from the photos, a good portion of the first coat of primer wound up in the shop vac. Then after wiping down the hull with a tack cloth, the second coat of primer was put on the same day. Between both coats, I used the better part of a quart of primer on the hull. By mid-morning Sunday, I was confident the second coat had cured, and this time used a 3M pad rather that sandpaper to sand down the hull. This process went quickly, and didn’t remove as much of the primer as I had done with the sanding block.
Finally I was able to put on the first coat of paint. On this boat, I decided that it will not be pure white. A white hull looks good on Wee Lass, but this boat would have a little color. I chose a sand color which should match the sail well. The paint I used is Pettit EZPoxy, which thankfully is not a true two-part epoxy. The recommended procedure is to roll and tip, using a combination roller and brush, but I chose to use a brush only and was pleased with the results. One coat down, another to go.