Sand, varnish, and repeat …over and over again

I needed to do some clean-up on the sheerstrake.  Some time ago when I had glued on the lower rubbing strip, I got a bunch of glue blobs on the sheerstrake.  These needed to be scraped or sanded out, and in doing so I messed up the stain on the sheerstrake.  Rather than try to re-stain the sheer (which I thought might not be successful), I decided to go ahead and paint the sheerstrake.  After masking the lower rubbing strip and the outwale, the sheerstrake was painted red.  Why red?  Red is my wife’s favorite color, and it’s good to make points whenever I can.

2018 06 09 Red sheerstrake.

The interior of Tammie Norrie will be bright-finished, which means a lot of parts need to be varnished.  I’m putting six coats of varnish on the parts, sanding lightly between coats.  I’ve divided the boat into parts, so the task isn’t quite so overwhelming.  The long summer evenings are ideal for this work, as I can sand and apply a fresh coat of varnish on a set of parts after work.  The first group of parts were the thwart knees, the mast partner, and mast step; the second group were the pieces for the bow seat and the forward thwart.  I’m working on the third group now, which are the pieces for the sternsheet.  The next group will be the pieces for the side benches and the rear thwart, and finally the interior of the hull and the wales will be done.

2018 06 09 Bow seat parts and forward thwart with fresh varnish.
2018 06 15 Sternsheet pieces are varnished; side benches are still bare wood.

Today the weatherman promised rain, which is not good for varnish, so I decided to work on the outwales instead.  I had glued the permanent outwales onto the hull way back when the hull was upside down and on it’s molds.  The outer layer of the outwale will be sacrificial; it will be screwed but not glued in place.  The outwale on Wee Lass has collected a lot of dock rash, which is a nuisance to maintain.  On Tammie Norrie I’ll accept that the outwale will occasionally get scratched and dinged.  When I get tired of the dings, the sacrificial wale can be replaced.

The sacrificial wales are made from cherry.  I started out with a 2-by plank of cherry, and rounded the edges on one side.  With some help from my wife, the plank was then run through the table saw and ripped to 3/8″ thickness.  The process was repeated until I had enough strips to do the job.

2018 06 17 Clamping on the sacrificial outwale.

The piece of cherry I had wasn’t long enough to make a single strip from bow to transom, so I cut three pieces and scarfed the pieces at each of the oarlocks.  This is another instance where you can’t have too many clamps.  Once the wale pieces are clamped in place, silicon-bronze screws are used to hold them in place.  Later the sacrificial wales will be removed and varnished before installing for the final time.

One thought on “Sand, varnish, and repeat …over and over again”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: